Three Steps to a Home You Love: Step 3. Elevate
Okay, now for the fun part of my three steps to a home you love. This is where we beautify, take our homes to that next level and create la belle vie! If you missed parts 1 or 2, I highly recommend taking those steps first. They are: Declutter and Organize.
Step 3. Elevate.
The idea here is to make the everyday just a little better. Think of necessary objects as an opportunity to introduce a pretty element to a room. Treat everyday meals as occasions to savor something delicious and healthy. Create a lovely atmosphere for your daily activities so they become something to enjoy and not just get through. Here are just some ideas……
- When it comes to buying anything, I have one guiding principle: Less stuff, better stuff. Always buy the best quality you can afford. Gourmet coffees and teas, luxury candles, and natural beauty products are some of my must-haves.
- Create a cozy corner for reading and listening to music. Toss a soft blanket and pretty pillow on a comfy chair, stack books and favorite magazines on a side table, and add a good reading lamp.
- Use a mix of overhead and accent lights throughout your home. Good lighting is so important to how a space feels plus with all of the beautiful fixtures and lamps out there, it is another chance to take the design of a room up a notch.
- Choose original art and crafts to decorate. Original art is all around us at all price points at galleries, local markets, Etsy, Ebay, etc. and there are handmade crafts from around the world readily available everywhere these days at really reasonable prices. So there is no need to fill our homes with mass produced faux art. Support artists and makers and make your home unique and personal at the same time.
- Splurge on making your bed as luxurious as possible. We spend a third of our lives there, after all. From the mattress to the pillows to the linens, go for quality.
- Treat yourself to weekly flowers on the coffee table, nightstands, and/or bathroom vanity. Whether they are simple grocery store flowers or designer bouquets, fresh flowers make everything better.
- Set a pretty table, use the good china, glassware, and napkins frequently, even for a simple meal.
- Pile seasonal fruit in a beautiful ceramic or wooden bowl for an easy decorative touch (and for easy, healthy snacking).
- Opt for hand-milled or natural soaps in a pretty soap dish or glass dispenser. Luxurious hand lotion is nice to have next to it, too.
- Serve your morning coffee or afternoon tea in a pretty set and water in a pretty pitcher.
- Place plants anywhere and everywhere they will thrive to not only beautify a room but to naturally purify the air.
- Don’t overlook wastebaskets. Choose something that you enjoy seeing.
- Same for umbrella stands. Fill them with beautiful umbrellas too while you’re at it.
- Use beautiful, thick stationary and nice pens for notes.
I could go on and on but I think you get the idea. We tend to go all out for special occasions but most of our lives are made up of small, everyday moments so they deserve to be just as, if not more, beautiful and enjoyable.
So there you have it. My three steps to a happier home. I hope this approach will take some of the overwhelm out of home organization and motivate and inspire you on your journey to a happier home. If you have any questions or ideas to share, come chat with me on Twitter or Instagram!