Zebra Wallpaper + Gold Ceiling Are Happening in Project Hallway

IMG_7874

Usually I’m thinking about a million projects at once but these days I’ve been singularly focused on the hallway for some reason. It’s actually a much more productive way to work but I think it can get a little boring for you (and me) after a while. Well, it’s about to get a lot more exciting because decisions have been made! Very fun decisions, too, I might add.

First, I’ve decided on the wallpaper. Scalamandre Zebras! In orange! I’m so excited I can’t! stop! using! exclamation! points!

WP81388M-012

I have been wanting to use this wallpaper forever, and I mean forever, but haven’t had the right occasion. I thought I was finally going to use it in blue or red for the WC in the master bathroom (another project) but when I saw the orange in person, I literally gasped. The shade of orange is just perfect – it’s that beautiful Hermès orange which is a little warmer and lighter than in this photo – and as many papers as I saw, nothing compared to it. Along with the fact that orange is what I call one of my house colors and that I’ve never seen the orange colorway used anywhere, it was a done deal. It had to go in the hall.

dianbergeron

This paper is a really popular choice for powder rooms…..

ed

lizcaan

popsugar

tradhome

and I love how Lauren used it in her hallway:

4thflwalkup

but I haven’t seen it in orange anywhere. If you have, please let me know. I’d love to see!

IMG_7858

When I tacked the sample up on the wall, I knew exactly what needed to happen with the ceiling. Gold. It was one of those instances when I just knew. And while we’re on the topic, let me say this is generally how decorate – by gut and instinct. I’m not one for rules and formulas. I think they have their place and are helpful for a lot of people but it’s just not my approach.

Anyway, here are some examples of what I envision:

HB.jpg

tradhome.jpg

vogue.jpg

ED.jpg

Looking at the wallpaper on the wall, I had a vision of a gold ceiling and that was that. Of course it’s not always that simple and clearcut but I love it when it is!

IMG_7860

I was really pleased with this idea but then immediately started to regret it because I thought a gold ceiling would entail gold leafing or finding the perfect gold wallpaper or something else more complicated. But then I came across…..

RL.jpg

Ralph Lauren Regent Metallic Paint. Metallic paints are tricky but this line seemed to have good reviews across the board. (I read a lot of reviews.) I called their customer service number to find a local retailer because very few places carry RL paints these days and they gave me the contact for the one shop here. (If you’re local, Paint Unlimited – no website). I went by and picked up some gold swatches then narrowed it down to these two colors:

IMG_7873

Golden Candlesticks on the left and Parlor Gold on the right. I chose Parlor Gold in the end because it was lighter and since paint tends to look darker on ceilings, I think it will work better.

Lastly, the built-in will be painted white. I considered a different color but there is plenty going on with the wallpaper and ceiling so white it will be. I’ve also been looking for the perfect lights to install against the gold ceiling and possibly a runner of some sort.

So that’s it. The makings of my dream hallway.

(Photos: 1.Scalamandre 2,11.Elle Decor 3.Diane Bergeron 4.Liz Caan 5.Pop Sugar 6,9.Traditional Home 7.4th Floor Walkup 8,12,14,15.FROM THE RIGHT BANK 10.Vogue 13.Ralph Lauren Home)

26 comments on “Zebra Wallpaper + Gold Ceiling Are Happening in Project Hallway”

1. celine says:

That is going to look amazing!!! Love bold wallpaper, but too chicken to do it myself. Can’t wait to see.

1. It took me a while to work up the courage!

2. Lily says:

I thought I was excited for the blue, but now… even more! Cannot WAIT to see how it turns out.

xo Lily

1. Me too! I’m so impatient for everything to come in!

3. Gwen says:

That is so beautiful! I have never seen the orange, and it’s just amazing. Can’t wait to see it all come together!

1. Me either until last week. I’m in love!

4. Deb says:

Very exciting choices! Look forward to seeing this! I recently painted a closet reading nook ceiling metallic gold and love it. Smaller space than this certainly, but it has such luxury to it even when small!

1. That’s good to know. I just love the look!

5. Love everything about it!

6. Tokyo Jinja says:

I’ve seen the RL metallic paint in a recent project and it looked excellent!

1. Oh, thank you for sharing that! I read so many bad reviews of other metallic paints and RL really seemed to be the one people like best. It’s good to have direct confirmation! 🙂

7. Lisa says:

I cannot wait to see this hallway! There was so much beauty in your decisions, it left me struck dumb. This is going to be A-mazing!!!

1. Aw, that’s really nice. Thank you!

8. Lauren says:

Hi! Happy my hall has inspired!

On another note, I LOVE gold ceilings! I have done it twice at Bergdorfs and was thinking of doing the same in my “dressing room”. Here’s a tip, if you’re afraid of doing gold leaf, and maybe not be set on the paint, there’s a really great company called Surfaces by David Bonk where they make gold leaf wall covering! It’s kind of expensive but not as much as gold leafing would cost and it is easier to install. http://www.surfacesbydavidbonk.com/design.php?cat=24&pr=115

I think I used ML-01 for the gilded age hallway:
    I also, put it in the back of my kitchen shelves! Totally obsessed.

Lastly, I have often used this companies’ paint, they’re also in the moldings of that gilded age hallway and there’s still plenty of depth, which is what makes the gold look good. http://www.modernmasters.com/products.asp?mode=category&bid=2

Can’t wait to see the transformation!

1. I actually picked up the RL paint yesterday so we’ll see how that goes. If it doesn’t work out though it’s great to have all of these resources so thank you for sharing!

9. I CANNOT wait to see the results. I’m also a big fan of Hermés orange but too chicken to use it anywhere (maybe I should start small, perhaps with a pillow or something).

1. Yes, do it! It’s my favorite color because it’s just so happy. 🙂

10. sherry hart says:

Boom….love it!

1. I’m glad you like it!!!

11. DJN says:

Dreadful, awful, horrible, terrible! I’m so jealous! Can I come and live in your hallway when it’s done?

12. Julie Khuu says:

Ally! You are right on the money!!! I painted my LA apt’s ceiling in a satin sheen marigold for that gold-leafed effect. Since I rent I didn’t want to splurge with the gold leaf and instead opted to use regular ol’ hardware paint as the base and hand applied strokes of metallic paint (Benjamin Moore’s) over it for the reflective finish. The result is seriously so dreamy I can stare at it for days! I can’t wait to see how this combination goes with the Scalamandre!!!! Eeeeeeek! How exciting!

xo-Julie
    Peace. Love. LOL!

Haute Khuuture Blog

1. Thanks, Julie! I need to see your ceiling!

13. This is going to be amazing! I’m obsessed with that Scalamandre. Great choices

14. The Glam Pad says:

Oh my goodness… this is one of my absolute favorite wallpapers, and I have never seen it in orange!! I cannot wait to see it in your gorgeous home!!! You have exquisite taste!

Comments are closed.