Reveal of The Wet Bar (Or, My Boldest Project to Date)
It’s still only January so I probably shouldn’t say this because I don’t want to jinx anything but….. 2014 is shaping up to be the year I finally do the things-I’ve-been-wanting-to-do-forever-around-the-house.
As many of you know, I’ve been wanting to do something with this space for-evah. To refresh your memory, here is what it looked like before:
and looking the other way:
I really wanted to do something bold here, to experiment and to not have it look like anything I’d seen before but I just couldn’t commit to any of my many ideas.
Then a couple of weeks ago, I stumbled on this wallpaper at Lowe’s and thought, “Now this is interesting…..” It’s by a company called Sunworthy SuperVinyl – such an unglamorous name! – but hey, when something is good, it’s good whether it comes from the hardware store or the design center. In fact, if you’re experimenting like I was doing here, designer wallpaper seems kind of wasteful. You can play around with a much clearer conscience when the paper costs under $45 for a double roll! (That’s right!) Oh, and it’s scrubbable which is very practical for a wet bar. Weirdly, there’s no name for this pattern but here’s the label:
It says vinyl but it really doesn’t look it. There’s just a very subtle sheen and texture.
Anyway, when I first started thinking about this space ages ago, I was just going to paper the walls. But then, as you may remember, I started thinking about doing some sort of paint treatment on both the walls and cabinets. And I guess that idea stuck with me because as soon as I saw this wallpaper I could envision the whole space covered in it and I couldn’t get started fast enough!
I normally like to leave wallpapering to the professionals but because this was not your standard wallpapering job and I wasn’t even sure how I wanted it executed, I decided to do it myself – with the help of my very handy (and very patient) husband, that is – and figure it out as I went along.
It took a good part of a day with the doors and drawers being the trickiest part. I need to clean some of them up but all in all I think they turned out okay. I also have plenty of paper left so I can also re-do them down the road if necessary. (I got three double rolls and used about two and a half.)
Oh and in case you’re wondering that sconce is from Currey & Co. which originally had a gold finish that I had painted white at one point and just repainted with some gold/brass craft paint. (I know. I should have left it alone to begin with.)
My number one goal with this space was for it to not be boring and I think I accomplished that. It’s so satisfying when a project turns out as well or better than I had pictured in my head. I’m quite proud of this idea, if I do say so myself!
(Photos: FROM THE RIGHT BANK)