The Newest (and Possibly the Best) Thing I’ve Ever Designed: Leopard Chairs. You’ll Never Believe Where I Found Them.

Good morning, everyone, how have you been? I have to tell you it felt a little weird taking the week off from the blog. You know when you feel like you’re forgetting to do something but don’t know what it is? That’s kind of how I felt all week. I guess it’ll take a little time to get used to this new schedule after having blogged every day for over 4 years.

Anyway, I’m so excited to show you my new leopard chairs! I can’t tell you how much I love these. They may be my new favorite thing in the entire house. And I have the most ridiculous story about how they came to be.

You see, I’ve wanted some leopard chairs FOREVER. I mean like for so long that I can’t remember a time when I didn’t want some. I’ve also wanted a pair of Parsons chairs for a very long time – not as long as leopard ones but still quite a while. So when I finally got my hands on some Parsons chairs, it took me all of a minute to decide they would also be my leopard chairs.

Now how I came into the chairs in the first place is the crazy part. A while back, I had to take my car into the shop for some repairs. I filled out the paperwork at the reception desk and then was told to have a seat in the waiting area. So I turn to go sit and what do I see? A pair of Parsons chairs! In the waiting room! I was all over it. To make a long story short, the owner was called, I explained my crazy self, we struck a deal and I brought these babies home.

Insane, right? I mean, who goes out to get a car repaired and comes home with chairs?! Um, me, apparently.  In all the excitement I forgot to take a good  before photo but here is one of them getting stripped at the upholsterer. You can see they were a mauve color.

As for the fabric, I must have ordered and looked at dozens of samples of leopard fabric but they were either the wrong color, wrong texture or just downright awful. I ended up going with the popular Jamil Natural which you see used a lot and now I understand why. It’s no Scalamandre (far from it) but in this price range, it’s a good one. If you’re interested, I happened to find this source which sells it for 20-30% less than everywhere else.

So I finally have leopard and Parsons chairs. All is right with the world.

(Photos: FROM THE RIGHT BANK)

1. Ashley says:

They are SPECTACULAR! If using caps wasn’t clear enough, these chairs are insanely good, as is the funny way they made it to your home. I guess this post proves “ask and you shall receive”!

2. so good so good!! (yes, i typed that twice.) i have a very similar parsons waiting to be reupholstered…way to put leopard on the option list :)

and i scored 3 (ended up selling 2 in my OKL sale) while house shopping. we didn’t get the house, but a friend’s parents lived in the neighborhood, so i was able to get the homeowner’s number and called her asking if i could buy the chairs. lucky for me, she was downsizing! three cheers for strange ways to come across parsons :)

3. Heather says:

I, too, have always wanted a leopard chair. And I have a vintage danish modern armchair that I have been meaning to recover forever. I had been thinking about various linen block printed bohemian options, but just this weekend, I took the insert out of my leaporad velvet throw pillow (yes, Jamil natural!) and it has been wedged between the cushion and the slat back while I make sure it is the way to go. (And it is.) Seeing the fabric on your chairs just sealed the deal!

4. Oh how I love those chairs and the way you acquired them makes them “priceless” in my book. The next time I’m at the car repair or dentist office for that matter I’ll have to take a look around :)

5. Nicole says:

I love how you struck a deal at your local mechanical shop! Sometimes what makes these pieces so wonderful are the stories behind them. Well done!

6. I LOVE them! I totally almost did the same thing at my husbands car repair shop recently. They had some super beat up leather/metal chairs that were AWESOME… thought about asking to buy them, but didn’t. Now I wish I had’ve, too!

7. Eileen in Pennsylvania says:

I just saw your leopard chairs and they are fabulous. I have to tell you that we
    purchased two of these parsons chairs for our first living room in 1972 from Jonns contemporary furnishings in Pa. They went to our daughter’s apartment in Boston in 2002 and wish that I could find those gems today. I loved the design then, still do, and would use them in our home now. Why did I ever let them go??

8. Meggan says:

I have been so crazy busy with World Effect and Color Cord that I haven’t checked recently and now I am kicking myself…. Oh my gosh I am in LOVE! Those chairs are totally beautiful and sassy. Great style as always, Ally!

9. Tracy says:

I know I am a bit behind here as I just came upon your site and saw these chairs that are AMAZING! I love them so much. I have been thinking about Zebra cow hide chairs but I may just have to change to these. Now to find the right chairs…were the arms on the original chairs fabric or wood? Thanks. How do you feel about these a year later?

10. studiotullia says:

Wow, you got my attention with those amazing chairs. Good call for you to visualize those ol’ chairs made new again and make it happen! They really look great. Thanks for sharing. I shared your story with my readers as we all love Jamil Natural.