I’m constantly tweaking all of my bookshelves to get them just right. I’m taking a pretty orderly approach but these slightly messy ones always appeal to me too.

We can’t leave out everyone’s favorite room:

What do you think? Are you fan of the slightly disheveled look like me?

(Photos: 1.via Ill Seen Ill Said 2.Lonny 3.via Eric-Z 4.Country Living 5.Melanie Acevedo)

Lori @ Lori May Interiors

I’d love to say that I could pull off the messy look, but I know myself too well. I’d have to go with a more finished look. Love to look at it though and wish I could be that laid back about it!!
Take care and have a great week!

a little luxe

I am! I love that imperfect look. Makes it look like a well lived in home, very cozy to me. Love that bright green in that second to last image!

Jennifer

Blue Hydrangea

Love, love, love the look of the messy bookshelf but I know I couldn’t live with it. I love how cozy and relaxed it looks but I would walk through the rooms and start straightening up…

Shannon(8foot6)

I love the first photo to bits!…I would love to have a room like that in my house….except, well…it might drive me batty! The other day I went for breakfast at a neighborhood cafe, and we sat beside the book shelves….and I may have organized the books…

Heather in Arles

I am a big reader and so yes my shelves are usually a mess. I gave away a huge amount of books during the last move but still have too many. I think when you really love your books it no longer becomes about what they look like or organizing by color–only by author will do!

Aimee@ the Functional Space

I can style a well ordered bookcase for other people but I want to live (and do live) with my shelves packed to the gills. Partly because I live in a small house and have lots of books and partly because it feels like home. Sadly, a little chaos feels comforting to me!

Carrie - Oak Rise Cottage

I don’t like to photograph the book shelves in my study because I don’t think they look attractive enough. I have every book shelf stuffed…I work steadily on getting rid of what I no longer want, but am also bringing in new books all the time! I just love to read and love acquiring books.

Jo@In Corners of My Mind

I love the disheveled book shelf…except in my house. You see I have one that is by no means purposely disheveled, or messy as I refer to it. I am forever trying to put everything in order, but as books are removed, replaced, flipped through and then new ones added, along with the family photo’s and treasures, it never seems to look the way I think it should…perhaps I need to embrace the ‘disheveledness’, and if I looked at it through anothers eyes it might even look stylish…hmmm gonna try that thanks! Happy Monday!

Holly

I hope someday to have a huge wall of built-in bookshelves to style, but I know that mine would be more of an organized look. I was looking at an image over the weekend and it was more of this hastily put together shelving and I wasn’t sure what to think about. There is an art to it either way you look, but I think for me personally I would go with a more polished look.

Terry

A “just right” bookshelf is one you use but don’t think about too much until want too. The messy of the shelf has to blend with the messy of the room. I get the vapors just thinking about it.

DMC

We both blogged about books on the same day… maybe something in the air! I have a problem with overstuffed bookshelves but better overstuffed than understuffed.

Meg

I’m definitely a fan of the messy, disheveled bookcase — which is a good thing, considering all of mine look that way! There’s just something comfortable, fun and lived-in about them. Like I could dig around and find all sorts of treasures, and one’s bookshelves are so personal.