I have just one word for Annie Sloan Chalk Paint: AMAZING. Seriously, this is the single greatest thing ever invented. I can’t believe I didn’t find out about it until now but now that I have, look out. I want to paint everything! (If you missed it, see Friday’s post about this paint and what I am using.)

I first put a coat of “Paris Grey” straight out of the can to see how it would look:

As you can see, I applied it directly onto the piece. You really don’t have to prime! All I did was wipe it down for any dust.

I then mixed some with “Old White” and tried that out:

I decided I liked the straight gray so I put one coat on (using a decent quality brush) and left it overnight to dry. But when I looked at it the next day, it looked too blue to me:

I know it doesn’t look that blue in this photo but as you know colors look totally different in person. So I mixed it with some white (like in the second picture) and applied that. I also watered down the mixture since it was the second coat of paint and didn’t need to be as thick as the first. I took this drawer outside to see it in the sunlight:

Just the gray I was after! Let me also add that it is the most smooth, matte finish I’ve ever seen in a paint. And as the name suggests, it is very chalky.

I left that overnight and then it was time to apply the wax:

The wax looks like and has the consistency of lard so there’s no dripping, no mess. Again, any half decent brush will work. As you can see, the wax deepens the color on application but it doesn’t stay that dark when it dries.

All I have to do now is to buff it and then it’s done! I can’t believe how easy this was – I swear I’m ready to paint everything I can get my hands on! I will take some photos of the final result to post tomorrow.

If you want this paint and you’re in North America, you can find the list of distributors¬†here. If you’re in Europe or the rest of the world, you can order from their site. (In case you’re wondering, this is not a paid post. It’s just that good so I had to share!)

(Photos: FROM THE RIGHT BANK)

Pretty Pink Tulips

So excited for you that it worked out! I’m sure that first brushstroke was a leap of faith.

Thanks so much for sharing this amazing source!
xo Elizabeth

Tokyo Jinja

This paint is exactly what I have been looking for! I can’t wait to hear your final thoughts on how it looks buffed. I love the Swedish look the color gives – I’d be curious to see how the darker colors turn out.

Tonia

I’ve heard a lot about this paint from Miss Mustard Seed and now you. So it must be a really good paint. I’m going to have to try it out.

Emily

Too funny! I was just flipping through a copy of Irish Image Interiors last night and saw that paint. Couldn’t figure out how it could justify the cost of 50 euro per tin, but glad to know it’s worth it!

Solange

Brilliant tip. I have always wondered how amateurs manage to get the vintagey, French look. Have already bookmarked the website for future use. xx

Kate @ Travelmoon

This looks like an amazing product! I had never heard of it before you posted here…I will have to keep in mind for future projects-I can’t believe you don’t need a primer!

An Eye For Detail

I had just read about this paint..can’t remember where…when you’re post came in last week! Now, of course, I can’t wait to try it. I have a small bench that has been just begging to be painted for over a year now…we will see!

carol@The Design Pages

I had never heard of chalk paint until a month ago and now I’ve been seeing it everywhere. I really need to give it a try. Can’t wait to get a look at the finished piece.

Chedva

I love reading enthusiastic posts like this one, it makes me want to paint something myself (and I hate painting)!

casey

Great job! I’m so excited about how it looks and how easy it was. Such a cool process. Definitely ordering some for my next painting project–since my least favorite part is the sanding and all the dust!

Piper

I completely understand your search for gray paint – it took me only about 20 different samples to find the right one for our dining room!! this one is gorgeous – love how it looks.

tami

I just bought some today. I started painting an my husband thought if he stood still, he’d be painted as well. This is truly awesome stuff. I can’t wait to do more!!!

jennifer

okay just shoot me this time! i just painted a dresser a rich peacock turquouise but now i love the finish of this paint…but she doesnt have the color….i wonder if i mixed her turq w/ graphite if that would work….or can i use the soft wax over my valspar paint??? if anyone knows please let me know…i neeeeed to know!!

Virginia Weathersby

Hi Jennifer
I love mixing the Annie Sloan colors! They mix well because there is very little black pigment in production. What color are you trying to make? I made a really rich blue-green last week. I used Provence and Olive then I added a tiny bit of black pigment to lower the value. I love the look especially with the wax!

Jan

I was wondering if you have any problem with the chalk paint scratching easily? I just painted two pieces of furniture yesterday, left them cure for 24 hours. When I was moving a piece, I accidentally scratched the paint.
So then, I took my fingernail, and scratched lightly, it seemed to scratch so easily. Does it scratch so easily after the wax is applied?

Rhonda

I’ve been wanting to paint my daughters kitchen table with this chalk paint. Does it hold up to everyday wear and tear and cleaning? She has 4 boys under 9!

FROM THE RIGHT BANK

My pieces have held up beautifully but I can’t attest to something that will get a lot of use like a table. You may want to contact a vendor and ask them. I’m sure they would know.