I’m Going to Make a Light Fixture. Yeah, That’s Right.

A few days ago, I came across an old post on Leah’s blog Moss Eclectic where she showed us a pendant light she made with just some twine and modpodge.

Unbelievable, right?!

Those of you who’ve been reading my blog for a while know I don’t like DIY and DIY definitely doesn’t like me. But this project has inspired me mainly because I still haven’t found a light for my dining room and something like this (in white) could be the ticket. The directions also seem really easy.

So today yesterday, I went out and got myself these:

I found some white twine at Home Depot so I’m hoping it works as well as the sisal.

Leah also used a toy ball but I want mine to be bigger so I dug my old exercise ball out of storage. (It might as well get used for something cause it sure ain’t seein’ no exercise!)

I hope to have something to show you by the end of the week. (It needs a couple of days to dry.) Let’s hope this doesn’t end up in the “DIY Project Fail” file.

(Photos: 1.Moss Eclectic 2&3.From the Right Bank)

1. Brenda says:

I can’t wait to see how fabulous this light fixture turns out!
    I may attempt this myself. My exercise ball ended up being used for knocking over lamps and dodge ball by my boys.
    xoxo, B

2. Wow, can’t wait to see it finished! I am the same way…DIY and me don’t get along. I just never have the patience and it always ends up in the “fail” file. Hope this works out great for you….cool idea!

3. Ally says:

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! But you really don’t know the extent of my inabilities – it’s already looking kind of disastrous . . . Stay tuned.

4. Ally says:

eyeseepretty: Thanks for that link. I wish I had seen it before I started mine. Oh well!

Milk and Honey: Yes, we’re still shopping. I don’t have high hopes for this working out(!)

5. sara barroso says:

Good for you. I’m horrible at DIY but if I were to try it I would tell myself to go slow and to make sure all of the directions and tools were perfect.
    Can’t wait to see the results!

6. Leah Moss says:

save it! The key to mine was willing to get really messy, I completely drenched the string in mod podge. I’ve relocated my light since my post from last year, so you’ve just inspired me to do a re-post later today.

Thanks for the shout out! I feel so cool :)

7. sorry says:

Umm. I’d love to see any DIYer succeed in a project. Small, itsy-bitsy, tiny problem with yours. Unless you used very little cord and have huge spaces to pull your giant ball through, safely without breaking the freshly dried twine and glue structure, your project is a little doomed. Otherwise if you can find a thinner large balloon then full speed ahead.