Because I don’t have enough projects going on right now (yes, I’m being sarcastic) I’ve been toying with the idea of painting the brick fireplace in our basement. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I think it’s really nice, actually. But I’ve always loved the look of white painted brick.

Here’s a picture of the fireplace in question. The photo was taken just before we moved in. The walls have since been painted white and I’m planning to go with a black and white palette in the room (when I eventually get there).

Thoughts?

Sorry for the weird posting times this week. Things should be back on track starting Monday. Have a great weekend!

(Photos: 1.Elle Decor 2.Design Sponge 3.Decor Pad 4.From the Right Bank)

Christina @ anora gr

Paint it, for sure! Faint stone grey. Huge fan of the painted fireplace! Juxtapose it with some neat wood grains, and you will still have the natural elements exposed in part of the design. I personally love using driftwood as art hung on the walls.

Jane Flanagan

I say paint too. And I'm usually cautious about painting brick (so much lovely brickwork has been painting over at home), but in this case, I say go for it!

Karena

I like painted brick and it sounds like you will get the look you want Ally.

I am posting pink today!

Karena

Art by Karena

TERI REES WANG

The only hell around here, is living with what we think we "should". Do as you feel and don't worry about, how others might differently.

Soft black or a sharp white?

Just do it.

Cheers!

Brittany

you should do it!! i love the look of white painted brick too. the end results will look more angelic then devilish so no worries on that front… 😉

Millie

This is the woman who painted every single exposed red brick in her house white (well, Parchment actually) speaking Ally. JUST DO IT!!!

Millie ^_^

Deborah Milne

If you ever saw from my too many posts of my house here in Houston, that I did just that. I high-glossed our 2 story FP a white & did it all by myself. Still can't believe I didn't break my neck. But for the sake of good design, I'm known for risking life & limb!

Gorgeous fireplace Ally, but I vote yes.

Enjoy your weekend xx

Centsational Girl

I am not a purist. Although I love both a traditional red and white brick wall, I'm totally seeing the fireplace surround white. White, baby, white! Especially given your black and white' palette. It will be stunning. Of course you know to prime first. Cannot wait to see the final result. It will be so fresh, so chic, so beautiful!!!

xo

Kate

Jane @ Beach House

Paint it white or tile over it with marble tiles-it needs a touch of your stylish magic!

Lynnae

No, you will go to heaven- every time you enter your lovely room! (OK I know that's dorky but I couldn't resist). I would paint it.

angela | the painted

Hell, yes, paint it!

We have a brick fireplace in our basement that was painted years before we ever bought the place…in lemon yellow. I painted it white and LOVE it. What is not to love about white painted brick? And, when am I gonna get to see that house of yours?

dayka @ life + style

such a dilemma! i have a relatively large brick fireplace in my narrow living room, and go back and forth on whether I should paint it white or leave it alone. i would just hate to strip it if I don't like it down the line!! i'll wait to see what you do first. :)

so good to meet you last night (sorry i'm just now responding, been out ALL day)! your energy is infectious, and you're a blast to be around. we'll have to get together again soon!

Dana

Paint the surround black. Then lightly spray the hearth white, allowing some of the brick to show through, like it is weathered. We did this and it is stunning!!!!

Brismod

You won't go to hell if you painted it. It will probably look great, but that said I actually don't mind exposed brick because it will age well. It seems you have the same brick externally…will you paint that too?

Ann

You will go straight to hell if you DON'T paint it! Just kidding – loved your post title and couldn't resist. Yes, paint!

Cristina

If your scheme is black with touches of black, I'd paint the fireplace white – no question. Looking forward to pictures!!

Carol Evans

I believe the choice has been made by reading all these comments, so go for it girl….you will love it.

eyeseepretty

If you're going straight to hell for painting your fireplace then save me a seat! I love the look of painted brick. What about painting it black? A bit unexpected and it would look fab in a black and white interior!

teresa

i agree, white would look crisp. i did it, love it, don't regret it. to be honest, the brick in the pic doesn't look that great. was that rude? sorry, didn't intend to be.

whitney

What if you painted it a different color? If the rest of your room is black and white, it might be really interesting to include a pop of another color.

Thoughts?

Whitney

Ally

Wow, guys! I can't believe the number of comments and that it's nearly unanimous!

Teri Rees: I'm thinking bright white. :)

Lynnae: That's funny. :)

Brismod: Nope, I'm definitely not touching the exterior.

pretty far west, Libby, Sarah: I love your fireplaces!!! Even more evidence I should go for it. :)

Michelle: Really? I missed that one. I'll have to check my DVR. Thanks.

whitney: I do like that look but I have my heart set on white. :)

Sarah Klassen

Hahaha, this is too funny! The other day, my Mom and I were thinking of how "crazy" she was years ago, for painting over a solid oak fireplace — turning it deep grey instead. My Grandparents were shocked, my Dad nearly had a heart attack, but it looks AMAZING. I say go for it, Ally, you will enjoy it far more painted. And, in fact, I have seen someone sand down the paint after, to reveal the brick. I thought it would look cheap, but it ended up looking quite chic. I think your fireplace would look very sharp painted white.

Can't wait to see pics :)

Enjoy the remainder of the weekend…

xo

Sally@DivineDistractions

I painted my fireplace brick about a month ago after living with it for 32 years! I painted it SW Macadamia, and I think it looks so much better! I did a post on it if you want to see what it looks like.

Painting-Box

Not that you need any more encouragement, but of course paint it! I painted a brick wall in a NY apartment white, with a Farrow and Ball masonry paint I was very happy with. I think they have a masonry primer too. I used their “All White” color.

Lesley @ TheDesignFile

I love painted fireplaces and so I’d go for it!

The fireplace in my house was painted when I bought it (a terrible green). I was thrilled it was already done so I didn’t have to make the call. I just repainted it a color I liked better.

I can’t wait to see your results!