I’ve wanted to go to Turkey forever but I’d want to stay at Istanbul’s A’Jia Hotel no matter where it was.

Look at the setting!

When a location is this gorgeous you almost don’t care what the inside looks like. But not to fear, the inside is lovely too.

2 5

I don’t know why I haven’t been to Turkey yet other than I guess I’ve just been busy going everywhere else. But I just finished reading Ionia by Freya Stark and now I want to go more than ever.

9781848851917

Freya Stark is the author of many travel classics and is known as the “poet of travel.” Much of her life was spent exploring the Middle East on her own at a time when it was neither advised nor socially acceptable. Ionia is her account of traveling the western coast of Turkey in 1952. It’s a fascinating look at the culture as shaped by religion, society, and commerce and how different this popular travel destination was then; she ran into only one other traveler on her entire journey.

You might remember this quote by Freya Stark I posted a few months ago:

Travel does what good novelists also do to the life of everyday, placing it like a picture in a frame or a gem in its setting, so that the intrinsic qualities are made more clear. Travel does this with the very stuff that everyday life is made of, giving to it the sharp contour and meaning of art.

This is one of the reasons I love traveling so much. But if you can’t physically get away, armchair travel is the next best thing and Ionia will transport you to another time and place. It is widely available, including at Powell’s, Barnes & Noble, and Borders.

(Photos: A’Jia)

a perfect gray

My younger sister was so much more adventurous than I was at a young age. Turns out, she was smarter, too. She travelled to Turkey on a student exchange program during her early high school years. I said, "Why Turkey, for heaven sakes???" She said very wisely, "The likelyhood that I will go to Europe later, on my own, is great. Turkey, not so much…"

She was right, of course.
.-= a perfect gray´s last post ..dreamy =-.

Stacey

These are divine images. I've never been to Turkey, but my dearest husband has stayed there and he thoroughly enjoyed it. I would just love to go there for at least a week…
.-= Stacey´s last post ..Books in a space =-.

Jennifer Reyes

What an amazing find….I have never seen a place quite as stunning. My friend is going to Turkey in November…will have to share this. Thx

Building a House and

I will have to read that! I've been to Turkey twice to visit my very good friends, although I can't stayed at the A'Jia. You should definitely go. It is such a beautiful place – the crossroads of civilization. A couple of the friends that I was visiting got married at one of the most beautiful buildings along the Bosphorous. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go because I was so pregnant. Thanks for the book recommendation.

Marybeth

I had wanted to go to Turkey for a long time. We went to Istanbul two Summers ago. We stayed in the old part of the city near the blue Mosque. The hotel (Four Seasons) was a former prison, and was the location for the movie Midnight Express. It is so beautiful. At any rate, we ran out of time before we ran out of fabulous things to do… including chartering a boat on the Bospherous (how do you spell it??)

It is a country so rich in culture, we barely scratched the surface and cannot wait to go back and explore.

As for the book recommendation, thanks, I am ready for a new one.

mb from Dallas

laney

…my brother lived in turkey when he was in the service…we visited him in istanbul…and it is indeed amazing…a whole other world…

Nancy@marcusdesign

Funny, I have been hearing sooo many wonderful things about Turkey lately. And several people who have travelled there have told me it was their favorite place in the world (and these were seasoned travellers speaking)! It's near the top of my list for sure. I am going to Egypt in a couple of weeks for the first time and I am beyond excited!

Nancy
.-= Nancy@marcusdesign´s last post ..mirror- mirror- on the mirrored wall =-.

Tricia Rose

I loved Istanbul, should have stayed far longer and travelled into the countryside. The people are so open and warm.

As for travel books, it doesn't get better than Ptrick Leigh Fermor: start with A Time of Gifts. Beyond words, a vanished world.
.-= Tricia Rose´s last post ..Balance =-.

manvi @ mochatini

ally, you MUST plan your trip to this amazing country soon. I loved every minute there. big tip: pack light, so you have space for all the shopping!!!

Oh and you must go to bodrum, its in the south west, not far from greek isle lesbos – its beautiful.
.-= manvi @ mochatini´s last post ..live with what you love =-.